White Rabbit Press Kanji Flash Cards

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Emergency Exit

If you study Japanese and you live in Japan, the world is your textbook. Just pay attention to the stuff around you - it might save your life! Take this sign on my balcony for example:



非常の際はここを破って
隣戸に避難して下さい

この付近を置かないでください

非常 hijou - emergency
sai - when, in case of
破る yaburu - break, destroy
戸 rinko - nextdoor
避難する hinan suru - take refuge, shelter, escape...
下さい
kudasai - please
付近 fukin - vicinity
置く
oku - put

I wasn't sure how to read (tonarito? rinto? rinko?) or if it meant the nearest exit or the house nextdoor. So I asked my Japanese friends and they helped me out.

In case of emergency break here
.
Please escape to the neighboring house.
Please do not place anything in this vicinity.

Essential resources:

Kodansha's Kanji Learner's Dictionary
CANON wordtank G55
& Japanese friends Masayoshi & Tamachan.

No comments: