White Rabbit Press Kanji Flash Cards

Friday, February 5, 2010

Poor Man's Guts

I went out for a very fine meal in a very fine restaurant the other night and was immediately afterwards stricken with a very bad case of the trots. My girlfriend said this was a case of 貧乏腹 - binboubara or poor man's guts.

貧乏 - binbou = poor
- hara = stomach

Poor people she said, aren't used to eating rich food so if they suddenly eat some their stomachs can't handle it. Likewise, I've gotten into the lazy habit of eating rubbish food when I'm alone at home because it's quick and easy and I can't be bothered cooking. So the sudden onslaught of fine wine, hors d'oeuvres, potage, fondu, lobster and cake proved too much for me. My girlfriend thought this very amusing. I less so. However, tonight I have no worries. She's coming round to bake me a pie. I think my stomach can handle that.

No comments: